What isthe first drug that most people get addicted to as children? Sugar! If sugar was a new substance that was looking for approval from the FDA, it would not pass! The reason being is that it is both physically and psychologically altering.
The really bad thing is that you can find sugar in anything from pasta sauces, commercial salad dressings, and pretty much anything labeled as low fat or fat free – they just replace fat with sugar to make the product taste great even though it’s fat free.
Here’s what sugar does to you:
- Pure white sugar causes the body to dump a lot of insulin into your system. Insulin is the hormone that causes your body to store fat.
- Sugar causes blood glucose to spike then plummet. In other words, you get a “high” followed by a crash.
- Sugar increases the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
- It is not a whole food. The sugar cane plant contains chromium which enables the body to use sugar without having to release copious amounts of insulin. The sugar without the cane is just poison.
- A high sugar diet actually results in a chromium deficiency in the body.
- If you need something sweet have some fruit. Yes it contains sugar, but it is a natural sugar with naturally produced enzymes included that help you digest it.
- Sugar causes tooth decay.
- Sugar can cause gum disease, which can lead to heart disease.
- Sugar suppresses the immune system.
- Sugar creates inflammation and free radicals, which ages us.
- Sugar affects behavior and cognition in children.
- Sugar increases stress.
- Sugar takes the place of important nutrients.
- Do you have mild asthma? Try cutting out sugar and see what happens!
Sugar will usually exacerbate symptoms of whatever condition may be present. In other words, whatever is wrong, sugar will usually make it worse.
Wait! Before you throw out all your sugar, read this list of things sugar is good for:
- A spoonful of sugar added to a vase will prolong the life of fresh flowers.
- Our great grandmothers used sugar to starch their petticoats.
- Three or four sugar cubes in a suitcase before storing it will help prevent damp odors.
- Sugar hardens asphalt. It slows the setting of ready mixed concrete and glue.
- Sugar is used in leather tanning, printers’ ink, and dyes.
- Chemical manufacturers use sugar to grow penicillin.